What is personal information?
Under the Privacy Act there is a long winded definition as to what constitutes ‘personal information’. But the Readers Digest condensed version is that personal information is your name (that one was sort of obvious), signature, address, email address, credit card information, telephone number, date of birth, medical records, bank account details and commentary or opinion about a person.
How do you comply with Australian privacy laws?
• Include details about the kind of personal information you collect, how you collect that information and how you hold that information;
• Explain how the personal information is used;
• Advise how an individual may complain about access to the information and make corrections to any personal information; and
• Indicate whether the information is likely to be disclosed to overseas recipients.
Prime examples of businesses that collect personal information are Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat.
So, when we sign up to a Facebook account, we agree for Facebook to store the personal information that we provide to it, such as our name, date of birth, mobile number and our relationship status. Now, customers or clients will probably be wondering why on earth would Facebook want to use this information? Well, Facebook could use it for a variety of reasons, such as for market research or for demographic information or marketing purposes.
Are privacy policies easy to draft/make?
Privacy and Policy
1. We respect your privacy
2. Your Personal Information
Personal information that may be requested or provided by you includes, but is not limited to:
3. Sensitive Information
4. Collection of Personal Information
Active Information Collection
• Personal information may be collected by us if you:
• Personal information is requested in order to facilitate or provide you with Services, certain content, and information about such content, products or services, any marketing materials, newsletters, electronic newsletters (e-newsletters), news and media releases / launch information, and also to advise you of other Services, offers, or events which may be of interest. You are not obliged to provide personal information. However, failure to do so may result in us being unable facilitate or provide you with certain content or Services, upcoming promotion, competition, offer or event information or accept competition entries (where applicable).
• We may also obtain your personal information from legitimate third party sources including list brokers, social media websites and other data providers or organisations that share data in circumstances where it is lawful and/or you have given permission for them to do so.
Passive Information Collection
6. Purpose for collection, use and disclosure of personal information
Personal information will be collected, held, used and disclosed for the following primary purposes jointly and/or severally:
7. Protection of Personal Information
8. Storage and Security of Personal Information
9. Links to Other Websites
10. Access and Correction to Your Personal Information
11. Data Retention
12. Sale of Company
13. Changing and Deleting Information we have about you
Specialist Contract Lawyers –
Contract Company is truly passionate about contracts. They love helping businesses with all types of legal contracts. Visit this page to learn more if you are looking for the best contract lawyer in Australia.